The research activities in the service, directed at first on the morphology of the navicular bone of the horse gradually extended to the locomotor system of the horse in general then to that of the dog. The inter-phalangeal joints of the horse (within the framework of a study on the juvenile degenerative arthropathy), the menisci of the horse and the dog, and finally tendons were studied. Collaborations with the CIRALE were born within the framework of a study whose purpose was to estimate, on the histological plan, the tolerance and the effect of bisphosphonates administered by intra-articular way at the level of the fetlock joint and recently, with the aim of testing a new substance to accelerate and to improve the tendinous healing after surgical induction of one experimental tendonitis. With the development of new techniques of medical imaging, it seemed that anatomical and histological fundamental studies bring precision as for the anomalies or artefacts observed in imaging, and which are with difficulty interpretable on the clinical plan. The LSB of the horse is studied in this context. The other research projects of the service concern the neuro-anatomy with the study of the embryonic development of the encephalon of the sheep.
Prize-winner of the EFFEM price on 1988 for the study entitled "physiological Effects of various types of stress to the dog before and after beta adrenergic blocking by the carazolol.
Most representative publications
- GABRIEL A., et al. Morphometrical study of the equine navicular bone. Variations with breed and types of horses and influence of exercise. Journal of Anatomy. 1998, 193, part 4, 535-549 http://hdl.handle.net/2268/8740
- GABRIEL A., et al. Morphometrical study of the equine navicular bone: age-related changes and influence of exercise. Vet. Res. Commun. 1999, 23, 15-40 http://hdl.handle.net/2268/57754
- Jacqmot O., Snaps F., Maquet N., Heinen M.P., GABRIEL A. Arterial head vascularization cartographies of normal metencephalic dogs using magnetic resoannce angiography. Anat. Rec. 2011, 294, 1834-1841 http://hdl.handle.net/2268/103111
- Khir Shikh Alsook M., Antoine N., Piret J., Moula N., Busoni V., Denoix J-M., GABRIEL A. Morphometric analyses of the body and the branches of the normal third interosseous muscle (suspensory ligament) in Standardbreds. Anatomia, Histologia, Embryologia. Volume 42, Issue 6, December 2013, Pages: 461–470 http://hdl.handle.net/2268/148954
- Salouci M., Antoine N., Khir Shikh Al Sook M., Piret J., Mignon Y., Kirschvink N., GABRIEL A. Developmental profiles of GFAP-positive astrocytes in sheep cerebellum. Vet Res Commun. 2014 Dec;38(4):279-85 http://hdl.handle.net/2268/171889
Information updated by the researcher on 15/10/2015.
Al Sook Khir
PhD student had the honour 18/03/17