Hélène Amory is involved in several research projects, focused primarily in the area of cardiology large animals, a sector in which she has gained international recognition. She has developed several invasive and non-invasive cardiovascular investigation techniques in various large animal species (cattle, horses, goats). These techniques allowed the conduct of clinical, epidemiological and basic studies in large animal cardiology and in comparative cardiology. She has by instance participated in the development of a model of doxycycline intoxication in calves and of mitral insufficiency in humans. She also participated in studies on bone metabolism in equine species and in basic and clinical research in the field of equine internal medicine, with a special focus on the atypical myopathy for which she supplies clinical data and samples through the cases admitted at the clinic and is involved in ongoing research in collaboration with Dr. D. Votion.
Equipment / technologies
Two-dimensional, time-motion, and tissue Doppler echocardiography, speckle tracking
Measurement of cardiac output by thermodilution, lithium dilution (Lidco) and analysis of the pulse wave (Pulsco)
Hemodynamics and pressure/volume loops (conductance technique) with cardiac load changes
Intern student at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine from 01/10/1986 to 30/09/1987
Head of the class of the 1987 Doctors in Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege
Winner of the Veterinary Medicine Annals price 1987 for the dissertation entitled "cardiopulmonary and thermoregulatory adaptation to exercise and training in the equine species : Literature review and original experiment"
Most representative publications
- AMORY H., et al. Echographic evaluation of cardiac morphologic and functional variables in double-muscled calves. Am. J. Vet. Res., 1992, 53 (9), 1540-1547 http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/6755
- Sandersen C.F., Detilleux J., De Moffarts B., Van Loon G., AMORY H. Effect of atropine-dobutamine stress test on left ventricular echocardiographic parameters in untrained warmblood horses. J. Vet. Int. Med. 2006, 20, 575-580 http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/8687
- Votion D., Linden A., Saegerman C., Engels P., Erpicum M., Thiry E., Delguste C., Rouxhet S., Demoulin V., Navet R., Sluse F., Serteyn D., van Galen G., AMORY H. History and clinical features of equine atypical myopathy: synthesis of Belgian cases diagnosed by histology (2000-2005). J. Vet. Int. Med. 2007, 21:1380-1391 http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/7594
- Porter S., Saegerman C., Van galen G., Sandersen C., Delguste C., Guyot H., AMORY H. Vegetative endocarditis in equids (1994-2006). J. Vet. Int. Med. 2008, 22(6):1411-6 http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/79783
- Leroux A., Detilleux J., Sandersen C., Borde L., Houben R., Al Haidar A., Art T., AMORY H. Prevalence and risk factors for cardiac diseases in a hospital-based population of 3 434 horses (1994-2011). J. Vet. Intern. Med. 2013, Nov-Dec,27(6):1563-70, doi: 10.1111/jvim.12197. Epub 2013 Sep 20 http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/153544
Information updated by the researcher on 10/15/2015.
De Araujo Pequito Manuel